PROJECTS | ALPINE RESEARCH
GRAND CHALETS

New rail and road links and a growing interest in alpine tourism supported the building of grand hotels in the NSW and Victorian Alps around 1910. 

Image 1. The Chalet at Kiandra was a 1943 conversion of the old 19C stone courthouse. 

Image 2. Further up the valley towards Jindabyne Walter Liberty Vernon, the well known Sydney architect designed Hotel Kosciusko that opened in 1909. This is built in a grand arts and crafts style following famous examples of railway hotels at Banff Springs and Lake Louise on the Canadian Pacific Railway.The original building was burnt down in 1951.

Image 3. Mt Buffalo Chalet Victoria. As part of promoting tourism in recently declared Victorian National Parks, the access road and hotel were built by the Victorian Government in 1908-10. Construction was likely under the direction of the government engineer Carlo Catani. The Chalet is in close to original condition and presently closed as Parks Victoria looks for a new operator.

Image 4.  The Chalet at Charlottes Pass near Mt Kosciusko was built in 1930.  The conical dome and stone plinth can still be seen today.  The original pressed metal shingle cladding in diamond pattern was coloured vermilion and chrome. The Ski Year Book commented ...."in the snow this colour scheme presents a carnival aspect and during the summer harmonises with the verdure of the hillside and great granite outcrops".